Chicken gyros can be easily adapted for a WW friendly meal and I’ll show you how to make them so that they are low in points. They’re pretty easy to make and require a lot of yummy zero-point ingredients like chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions.
You can serve them on a warmed up pita bread and have 2 for 4 points. They are very filling and healthy. I like to make these in the Summertime and grill the chicken when it's nice outside.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
What I love about chicken gyros is all the zero point ingredients in them. The marinade and sauce are both made with plain greek yogurt. Chicken is zero points and you can top the gyros off with some chopped tomato, cucumber, and red onion.
This recipe comes together quickly and only takes 3 steps. Make the yogurt sauce, marinade, and cook the chicken, then assemble and serve!
Tzatziki sauce consists of mostly greek yogurt and shredded cucumbers where all the juices of the cucumber have been squeezed out. Use your air fryer to crisp up some pita chips to dip in the Tzatziki sauce, if you don't want to make any gyros. Or better, yet make some greek nachos with all the ingredients.
- Greek yogurt is a type of yogurt that is strained to remove the whey, resulting in a thicker, creamier texture. It is known for its high protein content and tangy taste.
- Garlic - Chopped fresh garlic can take some time to chop so I often always use the freshly minced garlic that comes already made in a jar.
- White wine vinegar is a type of vinegar made from white wine, usually from grape varieties such as Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.Salt and pepper - to taste
- Lemon juice - This adds a nice burst of citrus flavor to the marinade to help enhance the choice of protein. Use freshly squeezed over bottled juice.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Look for olive oils that are labeled as extra virgin, cold-pressed, and unfiltered for the highest quality.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - They’re lean and quick-cooking and always come out juicy and tender. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure that the chicken is not over cooked. When reading labels for chicken breasts try to find ones that say Organic or Free Range.
- Pita Bread: There is a couple of low point pita bread options at the grocery stores. Make sure to scan the different options because not all are 1 point. Points may vary depending on what pita bread you use. My favorite brand is Joseph’s pita. The oat bran and flax ones are only 1 point so you can have 2 chicken gyros for only 2 points. That’s unbelievable!
- Fresh tomatoes seeded and diced
- Cucumbers - chopped and diced
- Red onion, sliced thin
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make Chicken Gyros
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Mix well. Add the chopped fresh dill, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Step 2: To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl or a freezer bag and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Step 3: Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet or with the broiler. (I butterflied the chicken breasts and then cooked them under the broiler.) Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into strips.
Recipe Tip: This chicken is really good grilled in the Summer time on a Blackstone Griddle or regular grill. The pitas can also be warmed up on a grill as well. The tenders only take 3 to 5 minutes per side on high heat.
Heat pitas (I sprayed with some spray oil and then popped them in the toaster oven for a few minutes). Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Serve immediately.
What to serve with Chicken Gyros
You can lay all the ingredients for chicken gyros out on a serving tray or platter and have your own build your own chicken gyro buffet!
Have some bowls out with olives, feta cheese, tzatziki sauce, sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, and cucumbers. On another plate have the chicken and warm pita bread on the side. People will love you for this!
Other Recipes to Try
If you tried this Chicken Gyros or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Chicken gyros can be easily adapted for a WW friendly meal and I’ll show you how to make them so that they are low in points.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cucumber, grated and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ¼ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- 6 Pita bread
- Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Red onion, sliced thin
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Mix well. Add the chopped fresh dill, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- To prepare the chicken, combine the oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet or on an outdoor griddle. (I butterflied the chicken breasts and then cooked them under the broiler.) Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into strips.
- Serve the tzatziki sauce chilled with pita bread, falafel, or grilled meat.
My WW Personal Points: 1 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
myWW points Blue 1; Green 2; Purple 1
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Marinate
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 pita bread with chicken
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 342.8mg
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated Fat: .8g
- Carbohydrates: 14.3g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 27.4g
Keywords: chicken gyros