Grilled lemon chicken is a dish made by marinating chicken breasts in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and herbs, then grilling them to perfection. The acidity of the lemon gives the chicken a bright, tangy flavor, while the olive oil and herbs add some depth.
It is finally starting to feel like Spring here and I live in the Midwest. I’m happy when the temperature is above 30 and where I live we think that is considered warm. Some even wear shorts when it’s in the 30s but we are used to cold weather here. I fire up my grill when it starts getting to be in a steady 30-degree temperature area. When do you like to start using your grill? Do you use it all year long?
- Chicken broth - Always use reduced-sodium chicken stock to control the amount of salt that goes into the recipe
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil - Use really a really good Olive Oil, I like Simply Nature Organic Olive Oil at Aldi
- Fresh lemon juice - Gives the chicken a fresh citrus taste
- Garlic - Freshly minced
- Fresh rosemary - Can also use dried rosemary
- Chicken breast - This marined also works with a whole chicken, chicken breast thighs, or chicken strips
- See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements
How to make Grilled Lemon Chicken Breast
Step 1: Combine broth, vinegar, oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and rosemary, in a large zip-close plastic bag. Add chicken, squeeze out air, and seal bag. If you don’t have any bags just leave it sit in a large enough bowl and cover it with Saran Wrap.
Step 2: Turn to coat and refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Let all the air out before coating the marinade in the chicken.
Step 3: Spray large ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Place chicken in pan and grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Best Grilling Tips
- Always Start with a clean grill. Make sure last night's dinner isn’t stuck on it. 😉
- Get any type of meat thermometer. This will help to check for proper doneness and to make sure the meat is at the proper temperature.
- Grilling is done at very high heats to cook food faster. Smokers are used for low and slow cooking.
- Know when to use direct heat.
- The best outdoor type grills are Webber. Ninja Woodfire, or Blackstone. Blackstone grills are a flat top cooking service that don’t have any grates in them.
- Marinades stick to outdoor grills after the grilling process. Clean up the grill right away so the marinade doesn't stick to the grill.
Tasty Summer Side Dishes for Grilled Chicken
Wondering what else to serve with this tasty grilled lemon chicken? Try one of these sides.
Grill chicken breasts on medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip half way through cooking them on the grill. Depending on the size of a larger chicken breast it can take 10 - 12 minutes.
Make a marinade or brine to soak the chicken in prior to cooking it on the grill on high heat. This will ensure a juicy flavorful chicken. Add some acid to it like a fresh citrus fruit such as lemon.
This is a personal preference. Foil will help the chicken keep all its flavor and juices packed inside for the best grilled chicken ever.
More Great Grilling Recipes to Try:
If you tried this Grilled Lemon Chicken or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
rilled lemon chicken is a dish made by marinating chicken breasts in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and herbs, then grilling them to perfection.
- ¼ cup of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp of grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of garlic
- 2 tsp of fresh rosemary
- 4 small chicken breasts
- Combine broth, wine, oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and rosemary, in a large zip-close plastic bag. Add chicken, squeeze out air, and seal bag. If you don’t have any bags just leave it sit in a large enough bowl and cover it with Saran Wrap. Turn to coat and refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Spray large ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Place chicken in pan and grill, turning once, until cooked through. For each side grill 5 to 7 minutes.
- For an outdoor grill, start up your grill. I have an ignition dial and I have to push the start up button for that to get my grill to start. Then I set all my burners to medium-high heat and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side.
myWW points: Blue 2; Green 6; Purple 2
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 breast
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: grilled lemon chicken