Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter is my favorite way to have squash. The squash gets baked in an oven until it’s fork tender, and a brown sugar maple butter gets smeared all over the squash. Then you bake the squash in the oven for about an hour at 400 degrees. When you take the squash out of the oven, you’ll notice a glorious pool of butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar just waiting to be scooped up an eaten with your choice of kitchen utensil. Your house will smell amazing and you’ll have some of the best acorn squash you’ve ever tasted! This is how I’m used to making squash because my family always had it this way.
I had this acorn squash sitting on my counter forever and I had this plan to make a Thai soup with curry paste and coconut milk. Once I find curry paste, I plan on making that soup though. Been seeing that recipe a lot on the Internet lately and it looks so good. I also have this plan of stuffingacorn squash with couscous, dried cranberries, nuts, and cilantro. That’s going to happen someday too.Print
- 1 acorn squash, cut in 1/2
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scoop the seeds and stringy pulp out of the squash cavities and discard. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt and pepper, to taste. Rub the squash cavities and cut sides of the squash with the butter mixture and place them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- When the squash is done baking cut it in half and then into quarters. The serving size is 1/4th of the squash.
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
myWW Blue 5; Green 5; Purple 5
Serving size: The picture shows the squash cut in half but it is actually meant for 4 servings. So cut each half into quarters.
Points are calculated with the WW recipe builder app and not using the nutrition info.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 45
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 2
Keywords: baked acorn squash