I made these Grilled Shrimp Skewers from Bobby Flay that were on his Saturday episode and they were fantastic! I didn’t grill them, I roasted the shrimp in the oven to save on time from heating up the grill. Only 7 minutes at 450 and the shrimp are already done. These shrimp on top of the Greek Orzo Salad is the perfect Summer time meal. They’re both really simple recipes to make. The shrimp are kind of spicy with the garlic chile oil, and the Orzo Salad helps cool your mouth down after the heat. Bobby Flay has some really awesome recipes and now I want to try making different flavored oils like this for marinades and try using different spices. I like that cooking technique.
Let’s talk about the Next Food Network Star. Emma is my favorite by far. Like her appearance and personality. Lenny and Loreal can just go home already. Not really a big fan. I do have to give these people props for doing something crazy like this. If I was asked to go in front of an audience as big as they had to on Saturday’s Show, I would flip out and probably start running home. Could never do that! Presenting in front of a large audience like that is scary and nerve racking. The girl who’s point of view is Coastal Cuisine cooked pork for her dish and that was rather odd. At least add some seafood to your skewers or kabobs, like these shrimp. 😉
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Calabrian chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, plus for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound extra-large (16 to 20 per pound) shrimp, shelled and deveined, tail-on
- Special equipment: 10-inch skewers, soaked 30 minutes
- Put the olive oil, garlic and chile flakes in a small skillet. Turn the heat to low and let the mixture heat for about 10 minutes; the oil should just barely simmer around the garlic in the last few minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Transfer to a blender, add the 1 tablespoon oregano and some salt and pepper, and blend until the garlic and oregano are finely chopped. Set aside half of the chile-garlic oil for serving.
- Heat the grill to high. Thread the shrimp onto skewers, about 4 or 5 shrimp per skewer, threading so that the skewers goes through the tail and thick end of each shrimp. Brush the shrimp with some of the chile-garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly golden brown on both sides and opaque, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer the skewers to a platter and immediately drizzle with some of the reserved chile-garlic oil (not the oil you used for brushing the raw shrimp). Garnish with oregano, and serve with more of the reserved oil