These Salted Caramel Butter bars are a little naughty. A little naughty as in, the cookie bar itself has 4 sticks of butter! You read that right. 4 sticks of butter. Can you feel your arteries clogging now? These bars would be great at some kind of back to school bake sale. People will love them! Salted caramel is my favorite and this is definitely not a dessert you want to eat if you’re trying to watch your pounds. I have to admit, I haven’t been watching mine lately. Just been maintaining these days.
P.S. These are also the perfect bars to eat, after you find out that your ex is already seeing someone new and you’re all alone with no one. #sadbuttrue
I’ll get over it over it though. Salted caramel is the only one for me.Print
- 1 lb. salted butter room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- For the Filling:
- 1 bag (14 oz.) caramel candies (about 50 individual caramels), unwrapped
- ⅓ cup milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- *1 T. coarse sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using mixer on medium speed, beat together until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Sift the flour into the butter mixture and beat on low speed until a smooth soft dough forms.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. Wrap remaining dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator.
- Bake crust until firm and the edges are a pale golden brown approx 20 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool about 15 minutes.
- While the bottom crust is baking and the remaining dough is chilling, make the caramel filling. Place the unwrapped caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. If caramels are not completely melted, microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth.
- Once the caramel is melted add in your ½ tsp vanilla and stir until combined.
- Pour the caramel filling over the crust. If you are going to salt the caramel sprinkle it on caramel layer now.
- Remove the remaining chilled dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.
Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 538
- Sugar: 42
- Fat: 28
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 68
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5