Ina Garten’s Perfect Roast chicken is so moist and flavorful. It’s seasoned with some fresh lemon, thyme, and garlic. I never would have thought that just stuffing some aromatics like this inside a chicken would make a chicken taste so good. I was wondering how these three ingredients would even begin to flavor the chicken if they’re just inside the cavity, but I could taste hints of lemon and thyme in there. The only thing I wish I would have had was the head of garlic. I thought about rushing over to the grocery store to get some, but then there was garlic in the potatoes I made. Do not skimp out on the garlic, make sure that goes in there as well. I would not change a thing about this recipe.
You should make this chicken asap. What, you think I’m crazy for roasting a chicken during the Summer when it’s 80 degrees? Not when you have the air conditioner on. It’s ok to do it then. A long with the chicken, I made Ina Garten’s roasted potatoes. That recipe will be on this blog tomorrow. It has been a while since I’ve made any one of her recipes and they never seem to disappoint!
Recipe adapted from Food NetworkPrint
- 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
- Category: Intermediate
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 498
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 253.2mg
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.7g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 71.5g
- Cholesterol: 216.3mg
Keywords: ina garten oven roasted chicken