Welcome to day 2 of the cookie bake-off! I’m sharing a cookie recipe that my Mom always makes every year around Christmas time. She gets together with her friend and they spend a whole day baking and Spritz Cookies are one of the main cookies they bake. I sometimes go and help them bake but this year I was in the middle of moving and I wish I would have been there to help. Next year!
A spritz cookie is a pressed cookie made with a cookie a press. The cookie dough is a lot similar to that of a rolled sugar cookie. With sugar cookies, the dough is rolled out and a cookie cutter is used to shape them. What is a cookie press you might ask? I thought this video below I found on youtube does a good job at explaining how to use one.
I like this Sugar Cookie Press: Oxo Good Grips Press
How to use a Cookie Press
Decorating Spritz Cookies
The ones you see in the picture are kind of plain but they are very festive looking with the red and green. When it comes to decorating a cookie, cupcake, or cake I struggle with this. I have no imagination when it comes to decorating. I watch those videos on Facebook or Youtube and see people make these very gorgeous decorated cookies and it makes me wish I could do that. Maybe that should be a goal of mine for next year? Well anyways… you could use red, multi-colored, or green sprinkles. Dip the spritz cookies in chocolate, or place a gumdrop in the middle. I would check out Pinterest to see what other people have done for decorating cookies. There are some pretty nice blue snowflakes on there and they piped icing on them to make them look super pretty!Print
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- green food coloring (optional)
- red glazed cherries (optional)
- green glazed cherries (optional)
- decorative candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place flour and salt in medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Beat powdered sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, almond extract, and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture–mix until well blended.
- Divide dough in half.
- If desired, tint half of dough with green food coloring.
- Fit cookie press with desired plate (or change plates for different shapes after first batch).
- Fill press with dough; press dough 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Decorate cookies with cherries and assorted candies, if desired.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until just set.
- Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Icing, if desired.
- Pipe or drizzle on cooled cookies.
- Decorate with cherries and assorted candies, if desired.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.
- Place all ingredients in medium bowl; stir until thick, but spreadable. (If icing is too thick, stir in 1 teaspoon additional milk).
- Category: Baking
- Method: Bake
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 67.6
- Sugar: 5.4
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 9.1
- Fiber: .1
- Protein: .6