Cheese and Sausage Calzones are the perfect after school snack or even for a football game party. I like to order Pizza Hut’s calzones from time to time. It makes me feel less guilty ordering those instead of ordering a whole entire pizza just for myself. I’m a light eater, and usually, I can just eat half a calzone and I’ll save the other half for the next day. Calzones are just stuffed pizzas without the sauce. However, a lot of people like to dip their calzones in marinara sauce or pizza sauce. The possibilities are endless with calzones.
This is another easy recipe and only requires 4 ingredients. I’m all about the easy recipes. The less ingredients the recipe it has, the better and cheaper!
Oh, and is anybody else excited that it’s finally September? It’s not quite Fall yet, but I just love September because all the best produce is in season. Pumpkin for one and fresh figs. Gah, I love them both and can’t wait to start cooking with those two ingredients. Since this weekend is a long weekend, I plan on making pumpkin cinnamon rolls and yes, they will be Weight Watcher friendly. 🙂
- ½ cup of store bought marinara sauce (2)
- 5 oz of fat free mozzarella cheese (5)
- 13 oz frozen pizza dough (27)
- 10 oz pound smoked italian turkey sausage (11)
- parlsey for garnish
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 egg for brushing on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll out pizza dough into large rectangle and divide into 6 equal pizzas.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of the sausage and 1 tablespoon of cheese and place that into the center of the pizza dough.
- Fold the pizza dough over the meat and cheese mixture and crimp it shut. Crimp the outer edges in and then use a fork to make the indents.
- Brush the pizza calzones with egg wash and sprinkle on parsley.
- Bake the calzones in a 350 degree oven for 20 -25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with warmed up marinara sauce! Enjoy! Each calzone is 8 WWP+