Well, it is definitely the flu season in my house! I've been hacking away for well over 5 days and today seems to be the worst of them. Usually, I'll make a big pot of chicken noodle soup but sometimes you just want a big bowl of cheesy chicken tortilla soup instead. Plus, a lot of OJ and Mucinex. What do you guys do whenever you get a cold or start getting sick? Let me know in the comments below.
I remember this being a soup that my brother and I would always like, whenever my Mom made it. It was my favorite growing up as a kid and still continues to be today.
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
First, you cook the chicken in a skillet. If you wanted to save time you could use some rotisserie chicken and just add the taco seasoning to the pot with the chicken stock. Rub that chicken breast really well with the taco seasoning and then add it to a nonstick skillet with some butter. Cook them on each side.
While the chicken is cooking you can start off the rest of the soup. Add some onions to a pan and cook those until they are translucent. Then add in the rest of the canned ingredients, milk, and cheese. This becomes such a rich and creamy soup and you can top it with whatever toppings you like. I like Tostitos scoops cause it's fun to scoop up the soup inside the chip. Then I'll add in some extra cheese and green onions. You could add in some black beans and corn to this as well. The soupabilities are endless!
Recipe adapted from Krista's Kitchen via Tasty KitchenPrint
Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Yield: 9 1x
- 1 envelope Taco Seasoning
- 1-½ pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Diced
- ½ cups Chopped Onion
- 2 T Butter
- ⅓ cups Flour
- 2-½ cups low sodium, reduced fat chicken broth
- 8oz 2% Milk Velveeta, cubed
- 8 oz. Shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican
- 4 cheese blend shredded cheese
- 1 jar salsa (any Variety)
- 1 cup 1% milk
Additional Toppings Fritos, green onion, and sour cream (for garnish)
- Split 2 chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 4. Rub the taco seasoning onto chicken. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a skillet and then add the chicken. Cook the chicken on one side for 4 to 5 minutes and then flip. Continue cooking the chicken on the other side until it is cooked all the way through. An additional 4 minutes. Take the chicken off the skillet and set it aside on a plate or dish. In large saucepan (or pot), saute onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended, then gradually stir in the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for two minutes longer, or until thickened slightly.
- Add Velveeta, shredded cheese and salsa. Cook on medium-low until cheese is melted. Stir in milk. Add the chicken back in. Stir. Heat through but do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with Fritos (you can also use guacamole, sour cream, and green onions). Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 cup.
myWW points: Blue 6; Green 8; Purple 6
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 14.96
- Carbohydrates: 16.08
- Fiber: 1.7
- Protein: 27.36
Thanks! I have a specific category just for WW so check it out!
This recipe is absolutely amazing. My 2 little ones even enjoyed it. Your recipes have been making my first few weeks on ww so easy I look forward to trying more!
How much velveeta? I don't think I see a quantity?
campbell soup recipe says
Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing difficulties with your RSS.
I don't know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting the same
RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
Recipe for flu recovery: Soup, OJ, Mucinex.... the only thing I would add to that recipe Jenna is rest! Thank you for the encouraging WW ideas. I'm 55+ and I love healthy food, portion control is my biggest hurdle.