What makes tomato soup even better? Adding some cheesy tortellini of course.
I've been trying to eat healthier and counting calories using myfitnesspal. It's getting easier and I'm starting to learn how much calories I can eat in a day. I've been also trying to do more cardio lately. I've been stuck in this gym rut and I just finally got out of it this week. I haven't been going at all. Maybe once a week at the most. This week I managed to get there 3 times. That's been a record for me! If there is ever a zombie apocalypse, I can just hop on my bike and ride away from all the zombies.
I also want to start utilizing my slow cooker more, but the thing about slow cookers is that they make A LOT of food. There is just two people living in this house and two dogs. Most crockpot recipes make enough food to feed an army. I had to cut this recipe down to ¾s and used my mini crock pot. The original recipe calls for 3 28 ounce cans of whole tomatoes and just one of those is enough for 2 people. Serve this yummy soup with some grilled cheese for lunch. It's a good base soup for just tomato soup if you don't like tortellini. It's my favorite stuffed pasta.Print
- 1 ¾ cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 ¾ cup diced yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (28 oz) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth (fat free)
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour mixture into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 6 - 7 hours or HIGH 3 - 3 ½ hours.
- Remove bay leaves then puree mixture well with an emulsion blender (or carefully in small batches in a blender. If your slow cooker doesn't keep all the moisture in well while cooking, you may need to add in ½ cup water or so at this point so the soup isn't too thick). Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 minutes longer (or until heated through). Reduce heat to warm, stir in milk. Serve topped with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Serving size: 1 cup
myWW points: Blue 7; Green 7; Purple 7
- Serving Size: 1 cup