This sunshine cake will brighten anyone’s day and it is so easy to make! All you need are 5 simple ingredients. (see picture below).
Do not add anything that the box of cake mix calls for on the back of the box. All you do is add the can of crushed pineapple to the box of cake mix and stir. That is IT. Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. While the cake is baking in the oven prepare the frosting. Combine the dry pudding mix with the cool whip and gently fold in your drained can of mandarin oranges. Sometimes I just make the frosting for this recipe and eat it out of the bowl, it is so good.
Can I use a sugar-free cake mix?
Yes, you can. My stomach cannot tolerate sugar-free products and that is why I used the regular cake mix in this recipe. Please use your WW recipe builder to figure out points for sugar-free cake mix.
- 1 (15.25 oz) box yellow cake mix (18 oz cake mix works with this too)
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 1 (8 oz) container fat-free cool whip (12 oz is ok)
- 1 1 oz package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (11oz) can of mandarin oranges, drained
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, mix yellow cake mix and pineapple. Do not drain the pineapple.
- Spray a 9×13 cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour cake mix you mixed together in step 2 into a pan and bake for approx 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- While cake is baking, prepare the frosting by mixing together the whipped dessert topping, the package of instant pudding, and the mandarin oranges(drained). Set frosting in a refrigerator to set. Frost when cake has thoroughly cooled.
Points Plus: 6
Smart Points: 8 (Freestyle)
Makes 15 servings total.
recipe from food.com
If you are struggling with entering my recipes into the WW recipe builder and come up with different points that is OKAY. Don’t worry about getting the exact same thing as I did. We all live in different parts of the World, and with different grocery stores that carry different products. Not all points will be the same.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 166.6
- Sugar: 19.8g
- Sodium: 228.7
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9g
- Fiber: .6g
- Protein: 1.6g
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with WW in any way. I am just a member who creates recipes based on their points system. This recipe is based on WW Freestyle program, and SmartPoints are the value system the company bases their foods on. Some recipes will have older points system values listed in them.