Swedish meatballs are served in creamy beef gravy and typically served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. The Italians serve their noodles with marinara sauce but the Swedes like their meatballs with gravy and I do too. According to Google, Ikea’s meatballs ingredients are made up of beef, pork, onion, bread crumbs, egg, water, salt, and pepper. This recipe is a good copycat for Ikea’s Swedish meatballs recipe.
These famous meatballs can also be served with some lingonberry jam. Lingonberry Jam is one of those must buy products that Ikea always has sitting out in front of the checkouts. I always grab a jar of that stuff. Really good with crackers and cream cheese.
HOW TO MAKE SWEDISH MEATBALLS
Swedish Meatballs Weight Watcher Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cups minced fresh onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 ounces, weight lean Ground turkey (98% fat-free) *see notes*
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp of all spice
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Gravy
- 1 whole 14.5 Oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoons Salt, Or To Taste
- ¼ cups light sour cream
Garnish with fresh parsley or cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a small skillet, heat olive oil over med. heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 2-3 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine turkey, onions, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, allspice, and 1 T. Worcestershire sauce.
4. Shape meat mixture into 1″ balls and place in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Pour beef broth and flour into a small bowl and whisk until the beef broth is a lighter brown color and all the flour is combined.
6. Pour beef broth mixture into large skillet with Worcestershire sauce. There is plenty of salt in Worcestershire sauce but feel free to add some more if you wish.
7. Heat to a boil over med.-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Reduce heat to med-low and stir in sour cream. Add meatballs and cover. Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over egg noodles, if desired.
9. Roll into 16 large meatballs or 20 small meatballs. Yields 6 servings
Smart Points: 3
Can sub any kind of protein for this. For the video I used 85% lean ground beef and I have also tried it with ground turkey.
- Calories: 218
- Fat: 4.3
- Carbohydrates: 17.4
- Fiber: .9
- Protein: 27.1