Since it’s Cherries for Charity week, I picked up a 3 pound bag of cherries for a $1.99 a pound. The grocery store donates .25 of every pound of cherries sold to a local charity here in town. That is the best deal ever for cherries. Lately, they’ve been 3.99 a pound. Trust me, I’ll be back for about 2 or 3 more bags of cherries by the end of the week. I’ll be looking for more cherry recipes to make too.
My favorite Ben and Jerry’s ice cream flavor is Cherry Garcia. It has chunks of chocolate and cherries in there, and oh man it is my favorite ice cream to eat on a Summer day. It really hits the spot. This ice cream you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it. The whipped cream gets beat until stiff peaks form, and you can do that with your own hands. I’ve never tried whisking my own whipping cream, but I’ve seen the chefs on tv shows like Chopped do that. Then you fold in all the ingredients. I seem to have an ingredient problem whenever I make ice cream. Either I don’t put in enough add-ins or I’ll put in too much!
Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream (Copy Cat)
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 15 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- In a stand mixer, beat the heavy cream until stiff peak forms.
- When the stiff peaks have formed, fold in the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chunks, cherries, and vanilla.
- Freeze in a bread loaf pan until the ice cream has set.
Smart Points: 31
Makes 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 615
- Sugar: 60
- Fat: 36
- Saturated Fat: 23
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 65
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 9