Crock Pot Potato Soup from Paula Deen is an EASY soup recipe that requires no blending or roux. You will want to add this potato soup to your daily menu rotation in the Winter. I lightened it up a bit to make it more Weight Watcher-friendly and lower calories.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
Every time I make this potato soup recipe I am amazed at how good and easy it is to prepare. After making this, you might want to start keeping bags of frozen shredded hash browns in your freezer all Winter long. I just love the convenience of the frozen hash browns in this recipe.
Sure, you could spend the time cutting up some potatoes but using a bag of frozen shredded hash browns is just as easy and the prepping is already done for you.
The rest of recipe calls for chicken stock, condensed soup, a couple of spices, and when everything is done simmering away in the crock pot you stir in some cream cheese at the end. My favorite toppings to add to this soup are bacon, Colby Jack cheese, and green onions. That is optional and not included in the points below. Leftover ham would also be a good protein to add to this potato soup
No Roux and Blending!
Let me tell you how easy this recipe is. You know me and I'll say it again. I LOVE easy recipes. Regular potato soup is a LOT of work. It requires peeling potatoes, making a roux, waiting for it to cook and come to a low simmer, then transferring everything to a blender when all said and done. No one has that kind of time! With this recipe, you just dump all the ingredients in the crockpot.
Ingredients in Crock Pot Potato Soup
Note: Please ignore the points for this recipe if you are not watching your calories or on a weight loss journey. 🙂
Country Style Hash Browns (24 points) - Can also use a bag of cubed potatoes but they might be more points
Chicken broth - Use fat free, reduced sodium (1 point)
Cream of chicken soup - 10 oz can of 98% fat-free reduced (5 points)
Uncooked onion (0) - dried onion flakes work well for those that don't like raw onions
Cream cheese (20 points) - Low fat or Fat-free to help lower points
Additional Ingredients- some people like to add a 1oz packet of dry Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
Extra Toppings - These ingredients are optional. I love topping my soup with chopped scallions, some extra Cheddar, and bacon. Use turkey bacon or reduced-fat cheddar to keep it low points.
Serving Size - Divide that into 8 equal servings and you get 6 points for 1 ½ cups.
How to Make Crock Pot Potato Soup
Step 1: In a crockpot, combine everything EXCEPT for the cream cheese. Cook for 6-8 hours on low heat.
Step 2: About 1 hour before serving, add cream cheese (softened) and keep heated until thoroughly melted. This part might require a lot of mixing to get the cream cheese well blended.
Note: I added the cream cheese in right away and it still turned out fine. This part can get kind of messy.
Serving size: about 1 ½ cups
What Crock Pots are the Best?
- When choosing a slow cooker think of the size of your family first. Do you have a large family of 6 or more? You probably want a larger crockpot that is 7 qt or more. For smaller families that are 4 or less choose a 4 qt slow cooker and just adjust the recipe ingredients in half. No need to change the cooking times.
- Elite Gourmet - Electric oval slow cooker has adjustable temps and can make anything from entrees, sauces, stews & dips. Plus it’s dishwasher safe. This one also comes in a 4 quart size!
- Crock-Pot 7-Quart Oval - Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCV700-S-BR) Spatious 7 quart manual slow cooker that servers up to 9 people. Fits a 7 pound roast. Keeps food at an ideal serving temperature for as long as you need to so you can make dishes ahead of time!
Yes. Let it cool completely before storing it in airtight containers.
Then prepare it on your stovetop and let it come to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Yes you can use a yellow potato such as yukon gold or any type of red potato.
Always store leftovers in clean, food-grade containers. The type of container doesn’t really matter. Use zip lock, glass, plastic, whatever!
Other Recipes to Try
If you tried this Paula Deen’s Crock Pot Potato Soup or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Crock Pot Potato Soup is an EASY soup recipe that requires no blending or roux. You will want to add this potato soup to your daily menu rotation in the Winter.
- 1 32oz. bag of frozen, shredded hash browns
- 3 14oz. cans of chicken broth (less sodium, fat-free)
- 1 10oz can of cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
- ½ cup onion, chopped *see notes
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 8oz pkg. cream cheese (⅓ low fat)
Additional Toppings Chopped Bacon, Scallions, and Cheese (not included in points)
- In a crockpot, combine everything EXCEPT for the cream cheese. Cook for 6-8 hours on low heat. About 1 hour before serving, add cream cheese and keep heated until thoroughly melted.
- Note: I added the cream cheese in right away and it still turned out fine.
- Serving size: about 1 ½ cups
My WW Personal Points: 4 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
Can sub in 2 teaspoon of onion powder if you do not like the taste of raw onions
Add a packet of ranch seasoning for extra flavor!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: crock pot potato soup