Tortellini soup with Italian sausage and spinach is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a cold winter day or anytime you want a warm and comforting meal. The combination of savory Italian sausage, tender tortellini, and fresh spinach creates a flavorful and satisfying soup that is sure to please.
Welp it's snowing outside and supposed to be Artic freezing temperatures the first couple days of the week, so I thought what a good day to make some soup. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and the smart points for this soup ain't bad actually. If using turkey Italian sausage it's only 6 smart points per serving. Depending on what kind of sausage you use the points value can very. Hot Italian sausage is 10 smart points. If you can find some chicken sausage you could use that too.
Is anyone else tired of Winter yet? I know I am. I'm tired of the snow and tired of hearing the annoying snow plows that come by late at night (3am in the morning) to clear out the hospital parking lot. Yesterday I was out shopping and picked up 3 floral tops for Spring and that helped me feel better. I get cabin fever when it's below 0 and I don't like going anywhere. I become lazy and feel like hibernating until the temperature is above 0 or at least my age limit. This soup should really help to warm me up!
Make some homemade No Knead Crusty Artisan Bread to serve on the side for dipping.
- Olive oil - Look for olive oils that are labeled as extra virgin, cold-pressed, and unfiltered for the highest quality.
- Turkey Sausage - can also try this with ground turkey, ground beef, or ground chicken
- Diced onion - provide a sweet and savory flavor to the dish, while also helping to build the foundation of the dish with its aroma and ability to caramelize.
- Minced garlic - Chopped fresh garlic can take some time to chop so I often always use the freshly minced garlic that comes already made in a jar.
- Crushed tomatoes - When purchasing canned diced tomatoes, it is important to read the label and choose a product with no added salt or sugar if you are looking for a healthier option.
- Vegetable broth - The best type of stock to use is one that is homemade. For canned stock, I look for ones that say reduced sodium or fat free.
- Fresh chopped basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Refrigerated tortellini such as Buitoni Tortellini, Three Cheese
- Packed fresh baby spinach
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make Tortellini Soup
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, Heat olive oil and add the chopped onion. Cook the onions until they are soft.
Add the Italian Sausage, and cook until sausage is no longer pink.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, garlic, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
Makes 8 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
I love to serve soup with some freshly made garlic bread and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top. Add a splash of heavy cream to make it super rich and creamy soup!
What other veggies can I add? Carrots, celery, kale, or fresh basil leaves.
Always store leftovers in clean, food-grade containers. The type of container doesn’t really matter. Use zip lock, glass, plastic, whatever! Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container before putting it in the freezer or fridge.
More Great Recipes to Try:
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Grinder Salad Sandwich - Tiktok Recipe
- Zero Point Cabbage Soup
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- French Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Pickle Chips
If you tried this Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Spinach any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Spinach - a hearty and warm soup packed with flavor to help you make it through the rest of the Winter!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground hot Turkey Sausage or regular Turkey Sausage
- ½ cup diced onion (about ½ medium sized onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-32. oz. box of vegetable broth (chicken works too)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated tortellini such as Buitoni Tortellini, Three Cheese
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, Heat olive oil and add the chopped onion. Cook the onions until they are soft.
- Add the Italian Sausage, and cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, garlic, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Makes 8 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
myWW points: Blue 6; Green 6; Purple 6
WW points are calculated using the recipe builder and not the nutrition info calculator. The nutrition calculator does calculate 0 point foods correctly.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 15
Keywords: tortellini and sausage soup