Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Spinach – a hearty and warm soup to help you make it through the rest of the Winter!
Welp it’s snowing outside and supposed to be Artic freezing temperatures the first couple days of the week, so I thought what a good day to make some soup. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and the smart points for this soup ain’t bad actually. If using turkey Italian sausage it’s only 6 smart points per serving. Depending on what kind of sausage you use the points value can very. Hot Italian sausage is 10 smart points. If you can find some chicken sausage you could use that too.
Is anyone else tired of Winter yet? I know I am. I’m tired of the snow and tired of hearing the annoying snow plows that come by late at night (3am in the morning) to clear out the hospital parking lot. Yesterday I was out shopping and picked up 3 floral tops for Spring and that helped me feel better. I get cabin fever when it’s below 0 and I don’t like going anywhere. I become lazy and feel like hibernating until the temperature is above 0 or at least my age limit. This soup should really help to warm me up!Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground hot Turkey Sausage or regular Turkey Sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium sized onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1–28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1–32. oz. box of vegetable broth (chicken works too)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated tortellini such as Buitoni Tortellini, Three Cheese
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, Heat olive oil and add the chopped onion. Cook the onions until they are soft.
- Add the Italian Sausage, and cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, garlic, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Makes 8 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
myWW points: Blue 6; Green 6; Purple 6
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 15