This sour cream noodle bake recipe is a flavorful weeknight casserole that will make anyone happy. It is ready in about 30 minutes and makes great leftovers for the next day.
On Saturday and Sunday mornings you can catch me watching cooking shows on Food Network. It's fun to test and try out new recipes from different Food Network chefs. I'll also share the recipe on here with you guys as well if I think it's worthy it! Like this recipe from Ree Drummond.
Ree has been one of my favorites to follow for a while now and I’m still watching her. This recipe was shared back in 2014 and her show is still on the air today. I absolutely love this baked noodle sour cream casserole recipe of hers. It’s really easy to make this recipe lower in calories as well by substituting a few changes.
If you have a lot of egg noodles on hand, this is a great recipe for them!
What Ingredients do I need?
In this section, you can find substitutes or suggestions for certain ingredients. I also will try and list out what the ingredients' purpose is for.
Ground Chuck - Ground chuck can get expensive so use either ground beef or a flavorful pork sausage. Lean ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken can be used to make this lower calorie.
Tomato Sauce - 1 15 oz can
Salt and Black Pepper - to taste
Egg noodles - or any spiral type of pasta
Sour Cream - Regular or light to make lower calorie
Cottage Cheese - 1% or 2% Can sub Ricotta cheese
Sharp Cheddar - Mild or Extra Sharp, sometimes I will use Colby Jack cheese
Green Onions - for garnish
How to make Sour Cream Noodle Bake Casserole
To print the full recipe please see the recipe card below.
- For the French toast: Grease the baking pan with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (overnight preferably).
- For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and some nutmeg in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, and mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a re-sealable plastic bag in the fridge.
- Bake: When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the casserole from the fridge and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or for 1 hour or more for a firmer, crisper texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with butter and drizzle with warm pancake syrup and sprinkle with blueberries.
Other Recipes to Try
If you’ve tried this Sour Cream Noodle Bake recipe or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. Snap a picture and upload it to Pinterest.
Please Let Me Know What You Think!
Be sure to leave a review of this recipe and give it a star rating. It lets us know how we are doing and lets others know they should try it!
I would love to see your creations on Pinterest. Upload them and leave a comment on my Pinterest page!
- 1 ¼ pounds ground chuck
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups small curd cottage cheese
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup sliced green onions (less to taste)
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
- Crusty French bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain the fat, and then add the tomato sauce, ½ teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, and then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add to the noodles and stir. Add the green onions and stir.
- To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, and then sprinkle on half the grated Cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat and then a final layer of cheese. Bake until all the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
- To freeze: Assemble the Sour Cream Noodle Bake in a disposable aluminum oven-proof pan and seal the top of the container with the lid or heavy foil. Seal the edges to prevent freezer burn and place in the freezer.
- To cook from frozen: Place directly in a 375-degree F oven and bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake until lightly brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
- Makes 12 servings: Serving size: 1 cup.
My WW Personal Points: 10 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
myWW points: Blue 9; Green 9; Purple 9 (1 cup)
I used 93% lean ground beef, light sour cream, and 1% low fat cottage cheese to figure points in the recipe builder.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 792mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: sour cream noodle bake
Ingredients from Ree Drummond