Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla soup is by far the BEST chicken tortilla soup recipe I've ever made. She had this on her show the weekend before Halloween and it looked really good, so I thought I'd give a try. All of the recipes that she makes look really good, and she also sometimes will sing on her show. She has a really nice voice and she can cook.
This recipe might be my new go-to recipe for chicken tortilla soup. The recipe makes a TON, so if you're only making the soup for 2 people I'd half the recipe. I'm thinking about freezing the rest of it because there's so much. One of the reasons I like this recipe is because it doesn't call for a whole brick of Velveeta cheese. It's nice and creamy without that processed cheese. To make it lighter I cut back on the half-and-half and used 1% milk. You can also cut back on the butter a bit and use light butter. I'd make this recipe again.
FYI: I am not Trisha Yearwood. I'm just a food blogger who loves watching her show and making her recipes.
- Butter - Unsalted butter is the most commonly used type of butter in baking, as it allows for more control over the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Garlic - Chopped fresh garlic can take some time to chop so I often always use the freshly minced garlic that comes already made in a jar.
- Onion (chopped)
- Low sodium chicken broth - The best type of chicken stock to use is one that is homemade. For canned stock, I look for ones that say reduced sodium or fat free. Please note: her original recipe states 3 cans of chicken broth. I only use 1 cause there's so much liquid from the salsa and milk already.
- Milk - Dairy does not like me at all so I go for a lactose-free milk such as Fairlife. It also has more protein in it.
- Chicken breasts - They’re lean and quick-cooking and always come out juicy and tender. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure that the chicken is not over cooked. When reading labels for chicken breasts try to find ones that say Organic or Free Range.
- Can of Kidney beans, Black beans, Corn
- Ground cumin - Cumin is a member of the parsley family. It is a dried seed that is made from a plant called Cuminum cyminum.
- Fajita seasoning (I recommend Mrs. Dash)
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make Tortilla Soup
Step 1: Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the milk.
Step 2: Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.
Serving size: 1 cup
Lower Sodium Tortilla Soup Option
I edited this recipe a bit to make it lower in sodium and also more Weight Watcher Friendly. I used salt-free canned corn and low sodium chicken broth. I know they have low sodium black beans, but I didn't get any of those. If you aren't watching your sodium intake just use cans that don't say salt-free on them.
Also, Mrs. Dash has some Fajita seasoning that I just loved with this and it's salt-free! I love finding canned products that are low in sodium because of my blood pressure. Now, if only I could find a good low sodium salsa. This is by far, my most favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I have on this blog. It's great to make once the Fall Season starts coming and great topped with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
More Great Recipes to Try :
If you tried this Chicken Tortilla Soup or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla soup is by far the BEST chicken tortilla soup recipe I've ever made. S
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 14oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless skinless (already cooked)
- 1 15oz can kidney beans
- 1 15oz can black beans (salt-free)
- 1 15oz can corn salt-free
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package fajita seasoning (I recommend Mrs. Dash)
- 1 15oz can cream of chicken soup (98% FF)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the milk. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.
- Serving size: 1 cup
My WW Personal Points 6 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 10.3
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 30
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup
If you like Trisha Year Wood Recipes try the following....
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Key Lime Cake
Or her Peanut Butter Balls!