Trisha Yearwood’s Chicken Tortilla soup is by the BEST chicken tortilla soup recipe I’ve ever made. She had this on her show the weekend before Halloween and it looked really good, so I thought I’d give a try. All of the recipes that she makes look really good, and she also sometimes will sing on her show. She has a really nice voice and she can cook.
FYI: I am not Trisha Yearwood. I’m just a food blogger who loves watching her show and making her recipes.
Lower Sodium Tortilla Soup Option
I edited this recipe a bit to make it lower in sodium and also more Weight Watcher Friendly. I used salt-free canned corn and low sodium chicken broth. I know they have low sodium black beans, but I didn’t get any of those. If you aren’t watching your sodium intake just use cans that don’t say salt-free on them.
Also, Mrs. Dash has some Fajita seasoning that I just loved with this and it’s salt-free! I love finding canned products that are low in sodium because of my blood pressure. Now, if only I could find a good low sodium salsa. This is by far, my most favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I have on this blog. It’s great to make once the Fall Season starts coming and great topped with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
This recipe might be my new go-to recipe for chicken tortilla soup. The recipe makes a TON, so if you’re only making the soup for 2 people I’d half the recipe. I’m thinking about freezing the rest of it because there’s so much. One of the reasons I like this recipe is because it doesn’t call for a whole brick of Velveeta cheese. It’s nice and creamy without that processed cheese. To make it lighter I cut back on the half-and-half and used 1% milk. You can also cut back on the butter a bit and use light butter. I’d make this recipe again.Print
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour 3
- 14oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless skinless (already cooked)
- 1 15oz can kidney beans
- 1 15oz can black beans (salt-free)
- 1 15oz can corn salt-free
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package fajita seasoning (I recommend Mrs. Dash)
- 1 15oz can cream of chicken soup (98% FF)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the milk. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.
- Serving size: 1 cup
Points Plus: 8
Points Plus: Blue 13; Green 9; Purple :5
Points are calculated with the WW recipe builder app and not using the nutrition info.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 10.3
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 30
If you like Trisha Year Wood Recipes try the following….
Or her Peanut Butter Balls!