Trisha Yearwood’s Cowboy Lasagna is packed full of ground beef, sausage, pepperoni, fire roasted tomatoes, and layered with cheese and noodles for one delicious lasagna!
This lasagna has everything a cowboy could ask for. Wait, I’m not a cowboy so how should I know that? I guess after watching so many episodes of The Pioneer Woman or Trisha Yearwood’s show, I now know what cowboy’s like. Lots of meat and real spicy food. In this lasagna, there’s ground beef, Italian sausage, pepperoni, lots of cheese, and fire roasted tomatoes. To make it a little more spicy, throw in some crushed red pepper flakes in the sauce. It was the most delicious lasagna, and Trisha Yearwood has done it again. I’m a fan of many of her recipes including Chicken Tortilla Soup and Enchiladas. They are all good and her recipes always come out great. Can’t wait to take some leftovers for work tomorrow.
Have you ever made a really runny lasagna? That is my major pet peeve when making lasagna is one that comes out all soupy. When making the sauce it looked like the lasagna would be a soupy consistency but it didn’t turn out that way. It was nice and thick. Oh yah, and one other pet peeve about lasagna is wanting more cottage cheese or ricotta cheese. It seems like there is never enough of that for each layer and that is my favorite part of lasagna. All the cheese!
Lasagna is always such a pain to get out of the pan for a picture. I’m talking about being able to see all the nice and even layers. That NEVER happens for me. What comes out is a big pile of goop and it’s a delicious looking pile of goop!Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef chuck
- 1 pound sage-flavored sausage, in bulk or removed from casing
- 1 pound sliced pepperoni
- One 16-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- One 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, add the oil and lightly brown the ground beef and sausage. Be sure to keep the meat chunky, not finely separated, while cooking. Add the pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- In the bottom of a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan, spread a layer of the prepared sauce. Top with a layer of the lasagna noodles and the ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat, ending with the sauce, noodles and cheeses.
- Bake until lightly browned and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Allow the dish to stand for 15 minutes before serving. Cut the lasagna into 3-inch squares and serve.
- Adapted from “Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood” by Trisha Yearwood
Disclaimer: not WW friendly, calories listed below
- Category: Easy
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 884
- Sugar: 6
- Fat: 69
- Saturated Fat: 25
- Unsaturated Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 59