I used to make my grilled cheese on a skillet but now I make them in the air fryer because it is so simple and the air fryer makes the bread nice and toasty! I updated this post with a regular version of grilled cheese for those who don’t follow the WW program and my WW version of grilled cheese. ( See recipe below) If you don’t want to read through all the mumbo jumbo, click the jump to recipe link at the top of the page. 🙂
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Take two pieces of bread (artisan or crusty) and a slice of your favorite cheese.
Place the cheese in the middle of the two slices of bread. Butter or spray 1 side of the bread with cooking spray (or butter). Mayonnaise works as well. Place the butter side down first on the basket and then butter the other side.
Set the timer of your air fryer to 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
When the 5 minutes or done, flip the sandwich over so that the other side of the grilled cheese becomes toasty and golden brown. Air Fry for another 3 minutes. Please note that all air fryers do not cook the same. Might have to adjust cooking time accordingly.
Air Fryer Tip: When the bread is cooking in the air fryer it will sometimes move around because of the circulating air at the top. Most air fryers come with a trivet that you can place over the bread or find something heavy that is oven safe to set in your air fryer.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
If you want fries with your grilled cheese you can cook them at the same time with the grilled cheese in your air fryer basket. My favorite brand of frozen fries are Alexa or Ore Ida. I will cook frozen french fries at 350 for 12 minutes.
Chips and pickles
My recipe 5 Ingredient Tomato Blender Soup would also be good with grilled cheese.
Lower Point Grilled Cheese
For a WW friendly grilled cheese that is lower in points, you can use a light bread (I like Village Hearth Light Italian Bread) and reduced-fat or 2% American cheese slice. I will also use I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter Spray to spritz on the bread. Under 20 sprays is 0 points. Butter spray comes in a bottle and it is next to the other butter and spreads in the grocery store. The whole sandwich would be 4 smart points and that is for all 3 plans.
Light butter or reduced-fat mayo can also be used instead of regular butter.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism. It is a downsized version of the convection oven.
Tips for using Air Fryers
Preheating: Some air fryers require preheating and some do not. Be sure to check your air fryer manual. Mine does not require preheating. If the food ever burns or doesn’t cook properly this could be why the recipe didn’t work for you.
Overcrowding: Do not overcrowd the basket. Some food will not cook properly or all the way through.
Oil: One of the reasons why air fryers are so great is because food doesn’t need a lot of oil. Just a small amount!
Not every air fryer cooks food the same. I always check half ways to see if it is getting close to near done. If it isn’t done, continue cooking longer.
What are the Best Air Fryers?
There are so many different air fryers out on the market these days and it is hard to pick and choose which one to buy. Every air fryer recipe on this site was tested with a Power XL air fryer. I’ve owned this brand for a very long time now and love it. A lot of questions I get are from people asking me if this works with the brand of air fryer they use. It’s hard to answer that because every air fryer model is different and their temperature and settings can vary. You just have to try it see if it works for you. These are two brands I own.
EFFORTLESS COOKING: Our 5.3QT Power Air-Fryer comes in handy in preparing amazing meals from your cookbook, and frying a variety of dishes, such as: French fries, chicken, steak, roasts, fish tacos and sticks, waffle fries, pies, pudding and donuts.
Got this as a gift for Christmas and I love all the different functions this has.
More Air Fryer RecipesPrint
Regular Grilled Cheese
- 2 Slices of good crusty bread or regular sandwich bread
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of room temperature butter or mayonnaise
Weight Watcher Version
- 2 slices of bread such as Village Hearth Light Italian
- 1 slice of Velveeta Original
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray or regular butter
- Take two pieces of bread (artisan or crusty) and a slice of your favorite cheese.
- Place the cheese in the middle of the two slices of bread. Butter or spray 1 side of the bread with cooking spray (or butter). Mayonnaise works as well. Place the butter side down first on the basket and then butter the other side
- Set the timer of your air fryer to 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- When the 5 minutes or done, flip the sandwich over so that the other side of the grilled cheese becomes toasty and golden brown. Air Fry for another 3 minutes. Not all air fryers cook the same. If your bread didn’t get brown, you might have to cook longer for each sides.
- Air Fryer Tip: When the bread is cooking in the air fryer it will sometimes move around because of the circulating air at the top. Most air fryers come with a trivet that you can place over the bread or find something heavy that is oven safe dish to set in your air fryer.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
my WW points Blue 4 Green 4 Purple 4
- Category: Easy
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 1
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Protein: 11
Keywords: air fryer grilled cheese
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with WW in any way. I am just a member who creates recipes based on their points system. This recipe is based on WW Freestyle program, and SmartPoints are the value system the company bases their foods on. Some recipes will have older points system values listed in them.