Taco Salads are one of my favorite meals to have for lunch, and they can be adjusted to suit any diet that you are doing. Whether that be WW, Low Carb, Whole 30, or Keto. This salad can also be adjusted to fit a low-sodium diet and that is how I originally made this Taco Salad way back when I first wrote this post.
By making your own taco salads at home and paying attention to how much salad dressing you use, you can easily cut back on the amount of sodium for a taco salad. This taco salad has way less sodium in it than your average restaurant does, only 550 mg! Just think of all the extra sodium you consume in a day by ordering take out food. It's crazy how quickly those numbers can add up!
Why You Will Like This Recipe
Taco salad is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the flavors of a traditional taco with the health benefits of a salad. The dish typically includes a base of lettuce, topped with seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, shredded cheese, and a variety of other toppings such as beans, corn, avocado, and salsa.
One of the great things about taco salad is its versatility. It can be customized to suit your personal tastes and dietary preferences. For example, you can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or chicken for a leaner protein option. Additionally, you can make it vegetarian by using tofu or tempeh instead of meat.
Daily Sodium Intake:
From CDC website: Based on their guidelines an average American should consume less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) of sodium per day as part of a healthy eating pattern.
Adults eat way more sodium than they should—an average of more than 3,400 mg each day!
- Ground Beef - Is considered better than higher fat options for several reasons. First, it has less saturated fat, which can contribute to heart disease and other health issues. Additionally, it tends to have fewer calories per serving, making it a good option for those watching their weight. The 96% lean ground beef from Aldi is my favorite.
- Taco Seasoning - It typically includes a combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and sometimes salt and pepper. It can be purchased pre-mixed, or made at home using individual spices. I usually buy the Lower Sodium Taco Seasoning packets such as Mrs Dash.
- Lettuce - Romaine or Iceberg
- Tomatoes - Roma or Beef Steak
- Black Beans and Corn - are convenient and versatile ingredients that can be used in a variety of dishes. They are a great source of protein and fiber, and can be added to salads, soups, stews, and even dips. Look for cans that say no salt added.
- Scallions - green onions have a more mild taste which I prefer over yellow or red onions
- Reduced Fat Cheese - has a lower calorie count and less saturated fat than regular cheese, but it may also have a different taste and texture. It also helps with keeping the calorie count pretty low for this recipe.
- Dressing - I measure my salad dressing amounts when adding them to a taco salad. If you go heavy on the salad dressing it will add on a lot of extra sodium.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make Taco Salad
Step 1: Brown the ground beef and drain any leftover fat. Add in the seasoning spice packet and ¾ cup of water. Let simmer until the beef has thickened up.
Step 2: While the beef is getting brown, chop the salad, tomatoes, and scallions and prep all the rest of the ingredients.
Step 3: Top the salad with cheese and dressing (measure according to the packages and bottles).
See the Ingredients list in the post for even more great additional toppings you can add to your taco salad.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you tried this Low Sodium Taco Salad any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Taco Salads are one of my favorite meals to have for lunch, and they can be adjusted to suit any diet that you are doing. Whether that be WW, Low Carb, Whole 30, or Keto.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch of scallions chopped
- 1 pound of ground beef, lean (93% or 96% lean, fat drained)
- 1 package of Mrs Dash Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 12 tablespoon of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Optional toppings
- Catalina French Dressing (optional) (I would use the recommended amount for serving)
- ½ cup of low sodium black beans (optional)
- ½ cup of low sodium corn (optional)
- Brown the ground beef and drain any leftover fat. Add in the seasoning spice packet and ¾ cup of water. Let simmer until the beef has thickened up.
- While the beef is getting brown, chop the salad, tomatoes, and scallions and prep all the rest of the ingredients.
- Top the salad with cheese and dressing. Beans and Corn are optional and not figured in nutrition info.
My WW Personal Points: 9 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 540
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 6.3
Keywords: low sodium taco salad