This Slow Cooker Taco Soup would be perfect to serve on Game Day. Just make a big pot of it in your slow cooker and have a topping bar with sour cream, cheese, avocado, chips, or whatever else your favorite toppings for tacos might be.
Sunday mornings have become my time during the week, where I prep all my food for the week. This week, I made Egg and Sausage muffins for breakfast and this taco soup to take for lunch. I’ll stick the egg muffins in the fridge and place two in little baggies, so all I have to do at work is heat them up in the microwave. Same with the soup.
I have to watch my sodium intake, because I have high blood pressure. For this recipe, I used no salt canned corn. You can usually find that where the canned corn is. Green Giant has a can with no salt added called niblet corn. In the organic section of the grocery store, they have no salt added canned black beans. They might be a little bit more spendy than the regular canned beans, but just think of how much salt you are saving. Also, Hunt’s has no salt added tomato sauce. The taco seasoning and ranch seasoning mix, Mrs. Dash has packets of these with no salt added. The only ingredients that had salt were canned tomatoes and chilis, and low sodium chicken broth. Did you think I did pretty good with making this soup low sodium? That’s one thing that I don’t like about all those canned soup recipes for slow cookers. They have SO MUCH SALT in them.Print
Weigh Watchers Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 1b lean ground beef 93/7 or lean ground turkey
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 packet Ranch Dressing Mix (I used Mrs Dash no salt seasoning Ranch packets) (optional)
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning (I used Mrs Dash no salt seasoning Ranch packets)
- 1 32 oz. box (low sodium) Swanson Chicken Broth
- 14.5 oz. can Tomato Sauce (low sodium)
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
- 14.5 oz can Black Beans (low sodium)
- 1 can Corn (low sodium)
- Saute onions for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown the meat.
- Drain browned ground beef to remove excess fat.
- Add ground beef mixture and all other ingredients (do not drain corn or black beans) to slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours.
- Garnish with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
SmartPoints: 2 (1 cup) (using lean ground turkey
Smart Points: 3 93/7 ground beef
Makes about 10 servings
Recipe Updated 10/2/17 Changed amount of beef to 1 pound instead of 2. Ranch seasoning not needed and so is canned chilis.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 11
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 3.7
- Protein: 23