Beef Stew is one of my favorite Winter meals next to Pot Roast and if you live in the Midwest where it’s -16 below out this stew will warm you right up. Beef and potatoes are a Midwest favorite and this stew will not disappoint.
The total prep time for this beef stew is about 10 minutes. Mainly just chopping and prepping your vegetables. The slow cooker does the rest. At the end of the cooking time you take about a cup of broth that was cooking away in the slow cooker and whisk in some cornstarch and add that back into the stew. This will thicken the stew up a bit and will create a gravy. It is incredible how tender the beef, potatoes, and carrots get! I did not add any salt to this recipe because Worcestershire sauce and beef broth have plenty of salt in them already but feel free to sprinkle some salt on top if you wish. I think the only thing I’d do different next time is cut the potatoes into smaller chunks.Print
- 2 lbs Chuck Roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 7 small potatoes such as yukon gold
- 1/2 Onion cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup of baby Carrots
- 2 cups Beef Stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- First cut all of the potatoes, carrots, and onions into large chunks. Using large chunks (about 2 inches square) makes sure they don’t turn to mush in the crock pot.
- Add the beef to the crock pot, then the potatoes and onions and carrots (if used).
- Next add beef broth, garlic, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, Worcetershire sauce, and pepper. Stir the pot and put the lid on top. Let the slow cooker do the rest. 6 to 8 hrs on low heat.
- When the cooking is done take out 1 cup of beef broth and whisk in 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Mix well and add that back into the slow cooker. Cook for anther 15 to 30 minutes longer or until the stew has thickened.
- Instant Pot: Follow instructions 1 – 3. Select Meat/Stew function according to manufacturer’s instructions; set timer for 35 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build. After the cooking is done, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally.
- Instant Pot: Select Saute function on Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot: Take out 1 cup of beef broth and whisk in 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Mix well and add that back into the slow cooker. Cook for another 15 to 30 minutes longer or until the stew has thickened.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
myWW Blue 9; Green 9; Purple 6
Points are calculated with the WW recipe builder app and not using the nutrition info.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 29
Keywords: Beef Stew