Weight Watcher’s Mexican Casserole is going to be your favorite new casserole recipe. It’s packed with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, and black beans. I managed to cut back the sodium content down to about 200 mg using no salt added canned food. I’ve been on this low sodium kick lately and I found no salt added corn, black beans, and tomatoes at the grocery store. I even found low sodium taco seasoning. The only ingredients that had sodium in it were the cheese and corn tortillas.
Trying to watch your sodium levels is hard. There is salt in everything pretty much. I’ve been doing a lot of research online trying to find low sodium substitutes. Usually, for breakfast I’ll have greek yogurt and a banana. Star-Kist Tuna makes a low sodium tuna so I’m going to try having that for lunch this week.
I hope you like this casserole dish just as much as I did! Serve with your favorite taco condiments such as sour cream, avocado, etc….Print
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (drained or rinsed!)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup canned jalapeno slices, chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 oz) can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (1 1/4 oz) package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste (or less (or more)
- Brown ground beef and chopped onions in large skillet; brown 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly. Drain all fat from skillet and return beef/onions to skillet.
- Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chilies/jalapenos and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile spray 12×8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each tortilla in half; place 8 halves in bottom of sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon half of beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining 8 tortilla halves and remaining beef mixture. (Cover tightly with foil & Freeze for later OR cook as directed below…).
- (Thaw overnight if frozen) Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, black olives, etc…
myWW points: Blue Points: 6; Green Points: 8; Purple Points: 6
Points Plus: 9
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the pan
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 8.2
- Fat: 5.9
- Saturated Fat: 2.2
- Carbohydrates: 52.3
- Fiber: 10.4
- Protein: 26.7
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with WW in any way. I am just a member who creates recipes based on their points system. This recipe is based on WW Freestyle program, and SmartPoints are the value system the company bases their foods on. Some recipes will have older points system values listed in them.