By the time you go and get some Chinese takeout food, you can have this slow cooker cashew chicken prepared, and it tastes just as good as the stuff in the takeout restaurant.
I adapted this recipe to make it more Weight Watcher Friendly. Instead of cooking the chicken in some cornstarch with oil in a pan, which adds on more fat and calories, I just cut up the chicken and threw all the ingredients in a slow cooker. No need to dirty up another dish or two. Too make this carb friendly, leave out the rice or make cauliflower rice.
I’ve had this facisnation with cashews since limitimg my dairy intake. They are quite tasty but expensive like pistachios. Oh pistachios, how I love thee. I never new you could turn cashews into cheesecake after doing a lot of extensive research on how to make a dairy free cheesecake. I’ve got some raw cashews sitting in my pantry waiting to be used for cheesecake. I’m tempted to just puree them in my food processor and make a nut butter.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cashews
- Green onions for garnish
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sweet chili sauce sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and cashews in small bowl; pour over chicken. Add to crock pot. Garnish with green onions and serve with regular rice or cauliflower rice.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings. Between ½ cup to 1 cup.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic.