By the time you go and get some Chinese takeout food, you can have this slow cooker cashew chicken prepared, and it tastes just as good as the stuff in the takeout restaurant.
I adapted this recipe to make it more Weight Watcher Friendly. Instead of cooking the chicken in some cornstarch with oil in a pan, which adds on more fat and calories, I just cut up the chicken and threw all the ingredients in a slow cooker. No need to dirty up another dish or two. To make this carb friendly, leave out the rice or make cauliflower rice.
I’ve had this fascination with cashews since limiting my dairy intake. They are quite tasty but expensive like pistachios. Oh pistachios, how I love thee. I never knew you could turn cashews into cheesecake after doing a lot of extensive research on how to make a dairy-free cheesecake. I’ve got some raw cashews sitting in my pantry waiting to be used for cheesecake. I’m tempted to just puree them in my food processor and make nut butter.Print
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cashews
- Green onions for garnish
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot and then pour the sauce over.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the cashews after the cooking is done and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings. Between 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with regular rice or cauliflower rice.
my WW blue: 6, green: 7; purple 6
Points are calculated with the WW recipe builder app and not using the nutrition info.
Serving size: 1/2 to 1 cup of the chicken and sauce
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Chicken
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 6.09g
- Saturated Fat: 2.187g
- Carbohydrates: 13.91g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 38.81g
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic.