You know when you scroll through Facebook and watch those food videos? I love watching those. I’ve got so many of them on my news feed, I think it sometimes slows down the speed loading time. They are so addicting to watch. I go through the list of ingredients and wonder if I’ve got them all on hand or try to figure out ways to make the recipe lighter. I saw this recipe for Southwestern Turkey Burgers on Facebook btw, it was on Buzzfeed’s (Tasty) Facebook page.
For this burger, you can use lean ground turkey. The spices give it enough flavor so you don’t have to worry about the burgers being dry. Tomatoes and guacamole are “healthy” already and just use some light cheese. The bun can be left out, you don’t even need it but those Sandwich thins would make a great lighter bun substitute.
Buy Arnold Sandwich Thins here.Print
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ⅓ cup shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cooking Spray
- 4 Orowheat Sandwhich Thin buns (100 calories each)
- Shredded lettuce
- 8 Sliced tomatoes
- 4 slices of light swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- Chipotle Mayo
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons canned chilies in adobo
- ½ lime, juiced
- Place turkey, shallot, and spices together in a large bowl and mix together until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Lightly wet your hands and use them to shape 4 circular patties about 4 inches in diameter.
- Heat up a non stick skillet and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook burgers for 2 minutes on the first side, then flip, lower heat to low, and cook them for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- NOTE: the turkey burgers must be cooked through. Use a meat thermometer to check each patty for an internal temperature of at least 165˚F before removing from pan.
- Assemble the burgers as desired with bun, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and preferred condiments.
myWW points: Blue Points: 2; Green Points: 5; Purple Points: 2
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 5
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 24