These air fryer baja style fish tacos are ready in under 20 minutes just with the help of your air fryer and prepping the rest of the recipe while the fish is cooking.
What to Serve with Fish Tacos?
Fish tacos are great on their own since they are pretty much a complete meal. Chips with queso dip, refried beans, or a fun corn salad would be great with these tacos.
Make my recipe for Quick PIckled Red Onions to go on top of the tacos.
What Ingredients do I need?
Fish - The best type of fish to use for fish tacos are any type of flaky white fish you prefer such as Haddock, Halibut, or Cod. If you live in the Midwest try fish tacos with Walleye or Northern.
Tri Color Coleslaw Mix, Cilantro, Red Onions, jalapeno chiles make up the cole slaw mixture.
Fresh Limes - Gives the tacos a nice citrusy flavor.
Mayonnaise - Is a common ingredient used for making dressing.
Sugar - gives the dressing a little sweetness.
Apple Cider Vinegar - Apple cider vinegar is a type of vinegar made from fermented apple juice. It has a pale to medium amber color and a sour taste.
Corn or flour tortillas- Tortillas are a personal preference so I usually let the readers pick their favorites. Lately, I've been liking the Zero Net Carb Street Style Tacos from Mission.
Chili powder - Is a blend of mixed red chilis that have been dried up and pulverized until it resembles powder. Sometimes other spices like cumin and paprika.
Oregano - Is an herb that belongs to the mint family. It is primarily used in Mediterranean and Mexican cooking
Garlic powder - is made from dehydrated garlic cloves and like the chili powder above it gets pulverized into a powder or flour consistency.
Paprika - Paprika is a spice made from ground, dried fruits of Capsicum annuum, a type of pepper plant. It is typically sweet and mild, but can also have a slightly bitter or spicy taste depending on the variety used. For an extra layer of smoky flavor try using smoked paprika.
Onion powder - Onion powder is dehydrated, ground onion that is commonly used as a seasoning. Some people do not like the taste of freshly chopped onion so onion powder is a great substitute if you have a picky eater like that in your house.
Cumin - Is a member of the parsley family. It is a dried seed that is made from a plant called Cuminum cyminum.
salt, pepper - to taste
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make Air Fryer Baja Fish Tacos
For the pickled red onions: Bring vinegar, lime juice, and sugar to boil in a small saucepan. Combine onion and jalapeño in a medium bowl.
Pour vinegar mixture over onion mixture and let sit for at least 30 minutes. or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Store in air tight container.
Air Fryer Tilapia: Combine all the seasonings together in a bowl. Season the tilapia generously. Spray the fish with some cooking spray and place the fish into a basket.
Set the air fryer to 400 degrees and let the fish cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish is no longer opaque.
Coles Slaw Mix: While the fish is cooking in the air fryer make the slaw mix. Combine the coleslaw, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, and mayonnaise together in a bowl. Mix well and set aside until ready to serve.
Set the timer to 11 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, cilantro, reduced fat chipotle mayo, pickled onion, and cole slaw mix.
Serving Size: 1 taco
When you compare air-fried food to deep-fried food it is much healthier because there is hardly any oil used at all. The only oil I use is from my Pam cooking spray.
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism. It is a downsized version of the convection oven.
Some air fryers require preheating and some do not. Be sure to check your air fryer manual.
Other Air Fryer Recipes To Try
If you tried this Air Fryer Baja Fish Tacos any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
There are many different variations of fish tacos you can make and it all depends on how you decide to cook the fish. I love my air fryer so much and fish is so easy to cook in it just like chicken or any other type of protein.
- 2 pounds of skinless whitefish fillets such as cod, haddock, or halibut
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas warmed (6″ tortillas)
- ½ cups fresh cilantro leaves (see notes)
- 2 ½ cups of Tri color Cole slaw mix
- Lime juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
For the Pickled Onions
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno chiles, stemmed and sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup apple cider wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the pickled red onions: Bring vinegar, lime juice, and sugar to boil in a small saucepan. Combine onion and jalapeño in a medium bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over onion mixture and let sit for at least 30 minutes. or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Store in air tight container.
- Air Fryer Tilapia: Combine all the seasonings together in a bowl. Season the tilapia generously. Spray the fish with some cooking spray and place the fish into a basket.
- Set the air fryer to 400 degrees and let the fish cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish is no longer opaque.
- Coles Slaw Mix: While the fish is cooking in the air fryer make the slaw mix. Combine the coleslaw, chiles, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, vinegar, and mayonnaise together in a bowl. Mix well and set aside until ready to serve.
- Set the timer to 11 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, cilantro, reduced fat chipotle mayo, pickled onion, and cole slaw mix.
myWW points: Blue 5; Green 5; Purple 5
Personal Points 6
- Category: Easy
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 taco
Keywords: air fryer fish tacos