Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas are a Mexican entre that is a tortilla filled with ground beef, chicken, or beans, and deep-fried. Save on extra fat and calories and air fry them instead. Top them with your favorite zero point ingredients such as Greek Yogurt, tomatoes, scallions, lettuce, and fat-free refried beans.
The air fryer is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. Check out some of these recipes! Air Fryer Chocolate Cake, Air Fryer Garlic Bread, Air Fryer Fish and Chips, Air Fryer Lamb Chops with Garlic and Rosemary, and Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Chimichangas come out great and extra crispy in the air fryer plus it only takes 15 minutes to make them!
I wondered what it would be like making those in my air fryer and I loved the way they came out!
The tortilla gets super crispy after spraying it with some cooking spray. I just took about ½ a cup of the chicken and placed it in the middle of the tortilla then rolled it up.
If you don't have an air fryer try baking these in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Shredded Chicken - Deli-style cooked shredded rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken breast. Get it at Sam's Club or Costco.
- Can chopped green chilies - for some extra heat
- Whipped Cream Cheese - Use room temperature cream cheese, it is easier to mix all the ingredients together that way
- Cheddar Cheese - or Mexican shredded cheese blend
- Taco Seasoning - s a blend of spices used to flavor ground beef or other meats for use in tacos. It typically includes a combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and sometimes salt and pepper. It can be purchased pre-mixed, or made at home using individual spices. I usually buy the Lower Sodium Taco Seasoning packets.
- Flour Tortillas - 8 to 10 inches are the best because you can fold them up like a burrito. Make your own or use a can of store bought.
- Enchilada Sauce for adding on top of the cooked enchiladas.
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese - I like to use reduced fat to help lower the calories
- Make my Smoked Salsa or Smoked Queso Dip to go on top of the Chimichangas or
- Top it off with some of the Best Damn Guacamole Ever!
- Plain Greek Yogurt - This will add some more protein and it's a good substitute for sour cream.
- Add some corn and black beans to the chicken mixture for some fiber.
- Cilantro or Scallions for garnish (optional)
How to make Air Fryer Chimichangas
Step 1: In a bowl add the cooked chicken, softened cream cheese, chiles, taco seasoning, and cheddar Cheese. Mix well to combine
Step 2: Preheat an air fryer to 350 degrees.
Step 3: Place about ½ cup of the chicken mixture in the middle of the flour tortilla. Fold each sides in then fold down the middle of the tortilla and roll it up.
Step 4: Place the chimichangas in an air fryer basket and spray them with cooking spray. Let the chimichangas air fry for 10 minutes.
When the chimichangas are done spoon some enchilada sauce over the chimichangas and top with cheese. Add them to the microwave and let the cheese melt and the sauce warm up.
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
You can serve these with some Fat Free refried beans for 0 smart points, rice, or use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream!
Yes, try these with the Zero Net Carb tortillas from Mission. These are so good and only 25 calories.
Store any of the leftover chicken in air tight containers to use up for the next day. The chicken can be made the day ahead. Having leftover chicken you can make chimichangas any day of the week!
Best Air Fryer Tips
The air fryer is so great for cooking simple basic food like air fryer steak, air fryer hard-boiled eggs, and air fryer bacon. Cook up some air fryer chicken breasts for the week and use it chicken quesadillas.
Overcrowding: Do not overcrowd the basket. Place items in a single layer in the air fryer basket or some food will not cook properly or all the way through.
Use a spray oil such as Pam to get food extra crispy and to save on calories.
Use parchment paper on the bottom of your air fryer for easy clean up.
More Great Air Fryer Recipes to Try :
If you tried this Air Fryer Chimichangas or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Chimichangas are a Mexican entre that is a tortilla filled with ground beef, chicken, or beans, and deep-fried. Save on extra fat and calories and air fry them instead. Top them with your favorite zero point ingredients such as Greek Yogurt, tomatoes, scallions, lettuce, and fat-free refried beans.
- 2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 1oz package reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 (8 or 10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 10 oz can of Red or Green Enchilada Sauce
Toppings: More shredded cheese, Greek Yogurt, cilantro, or chopped scallions.
- Preheat an air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Place about ½ cup of the chicken mixture in the middle of the flour tortilla. Fold each sides in then fold down the middle of the tortilla and roll it up.
- Place the chimichangas in an air fryer basket and spray them with cooking spray.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the chimichangas are done spoon some enchilada sauce over the chimichangas and top with cheese. Add them to the microwave and let the cheese melt and the sauce warm up.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
myWW points: Blue 3; Green 4; Purple 3
My WW Personal Points: 3 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fry
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 chimichanga
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 374
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 43
Keywords: air fryer chicken chimichangas