I know I’ve posted this recipe before, but this is an upgrade to one of my most favorite recipes ever! Chicken Cheese Hotdish!
My Dad has this hot dish that my whole family loves. It has chicken, green beans, cheese, and rice in it. It takes a while to prepare because you have to brown the chicken and boil the rice, then bake it in the oven for 30 minutes.
I was watching one of those videos on Tasty’s facebook page the other day ago, and they had this recipe called Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Bake. The video showed everything including the rice being cooked in one dish. How brilliant! I can use that idea to make my Dad’s casserole dish and sure enough, it worked! It was still the same creamy cheesy casserole that everyone loves and I saved a couple of dishes and steps doing it that way. I’ll be using that method from now on.
Ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Green Bean Bake
- 1 cup uncooked white instant rice or brown instant rice – 10 points
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper – 0 points
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – 0 points
- 1 10 oz can cream of chicken – 9 points
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese , shredded – 9 points
- 1 can of French style green beans, drained – 0 points
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth – 1 point
- 3 small chicken breasts – 0 point
I thought I’d add in the ingredients list above to this recipe with the points breakdown because some people were confused on the number of servings. 1/8th of the pan is correct. Divided into 8 equal portions using the ingredients above the smart points is 5.
Tips for Cheesy Chicken Green Bean Casserole
If you use full-fat Cheddar cheese the total for 1/8th of the pan would be 8 points. I previously had cheddar cheese listed in the ingredients list below and looked at what I had on Weight Watcher’s recipe app. I had used low fat colby jack cheese to make it 5 points. Oops. At least I fixed it. We all make mistakes. Sometimes when I make this, I don’t use the same type of cheese all the time. It is best to use your recipe builder if using different types of cheese.
Let the casserole sit out for 10 minutes and it will start to thicken up. If you eat it RIGHT out of the pan the casserole will be soupy.
I just love finding easier ways to make one of your favorite dishes!Print
- 1 cup white instant rice or brown instant rice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese , shredded
- 1 can of French style green beans, drained
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- Extra cheddar cheese for topping
- 3 small chicken breasts
- Heat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- In a casserole dish, combine rice, pepper, onion powder, cream of chicken, cheese, green beans and chicken stock. Mix until everything is combined.
- Lay chicken on top of the rice mixture. Space evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Take off cover and top the chicken with more cheese. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Freestyle SmartPoints: 5 (with rice)
Freestyle SmartPoints : 2 (without rice) (
Divide into 8 equal portions)
This casserole when you take it out of the oven is a little soupy, but if you let it sit out for 10 minutes or longer it thickens up quite a bit.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 1
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 27
Keywords: casserole, chicken, green beans