Enchiladas are my favorite food to order at Mexican restaurants and when I saw this recipe for white chicken enchiladas, I was intrigued because I'm so used to the red or green enchiladas sauce.
White chicken enchiladas use a roux made with flour, butter, and chicken broth. Greek yogurt or sour cream is added into that roux with some green chiles. A roux is just a simple technique to thicken liquid such as broth. Melt some butter in a pan and whisk in some flour. The flour and butter start to thicken once you add the chicken broth the mixture will start to thicken and become this creamy and rich sauce.
Ingredients in White Chicken Enchiladas
- Tortillas - There are MANY different types of tortillas you can use for this. If you follow WW program use your favorite low-point tortilla. Tumero's is my favorite low point tortilla for only 1 point. These are about 8 to 10-inch tortillas.
- Chicken - shredded chicken works best for this. See my tip above to make perfect shredded chicken.
- Cheese - Reduced-Fat Cheese has a lower calorie count and less saturated fat than regular cheese, but it may also have a different taste and texture. It also helps with keeping the calorie count pretty low for this recipe.
- Butter - The brand of light butter I like the best is Land O Lakes. It is found in a tub next to the other kinds of butter in your grocery store.
- Flour - I'm not gluten intolerant, and I use all purpose flour. If you are gluten free then find a gluten free tortilla and sub gluten free flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Chicken Broth - ALWAYS use low sodium chicken broth so that you can control the amount of salt that goes in or unsalted chicken broth.
- Greek Yogurt - Sour cream can be subbed instead of Greek Yogurt. Use low fat or fat free version.
- Green chilis - You can use fresh or canned chilis.
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make White Chicken Enchiladas
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan
Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese in a bowl. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese onto the middle of the tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place in the pan.
Step 2: In a saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Take the pan of the heat and let it rest for a while until the sauce has become slightly cooled.
Stir in Greek yogurt and chilies.
Step 3: Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
Step 4: Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
Tips for White Chicken Enchiladas
- Prep your chicken ahead of time! - Have you ever cooked a bunch of chicken in a crockpot before? It is super easy. Do that on the night you meal prep. I just add some thawed chicken with some chicken broth or water to a crockpot and cook it on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- After the chicken breasts are done cooking, I take them out and shred the chicken and store them into containers for the week. Perfect for meal prep and this dish! If you haven't done that yet, you should do it one time. The chicken can then be made into ANYTHING like these white chicken enchiladas.
- Leftover rotisserie chicken is fine to use as well.
What to serve with enchiladas?
Other options could include grilled vegetables, Grilled Corn on the Cob, or Air Fryer Tortilla Chips and Easy Smoked Queso. Ultimately, the best side dishes will depend on your personal tastes and preferences.
Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things to find the perfect combination for your next enchilada meal.
place each enchilada with the chicken and cheese inside the wraps and freeze them on a sheet pan tray. Once they are frozen, take them out and place the enchiladas into a freezer bag. You can make the sauce ahead of time. Let it cool completely and place it in a freezer safe container for later use. When you are ready to eat the enchiladas, place them in a greased dish and pour the thawed sauce over top.
The Greek yogurt or sour cream that get added into the sauce makes these white enchiladas.
More Great Recipes to Try:
If you tried this Weight Chicken Enchiladas or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
White enchiladas use a roux made with flour, butter, and chicken broth. Greek yogurt or sour cream is added into that roux with some green chiles.
- 10 soft taco shells (I used flour) (I used Tumero's Cut Da Carb Wraps for 1 smart point)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter (light butter)
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan
- Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese in a bowl. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese onto the middle of the tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place in pan.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Take the pan of the heat and let it rest for awhile until the sauce has become slightly cooled.
- Stir in greek yogurt and chilies.
- Pour the sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
- Serving size: 1 enchilada.
My WW Personal Points: 5 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 537
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 16
Keywords: White Chicken Enchiladas