This 5 ingredients hash brown casserole is great for a weekend brunch. Serve it with some fresh fruit, baked goods like muffins or donuts, and mimosas on the side!
My family had this sausage and egg breakfast casserole at the lake one weekend for breakfast with muffins, fruit, and a cinnamon roll casserole. There was plenty of food there that morning to eat. I thought that this would be a great recipe to share with everyone. The perfect recipe for making at the lake this weekend or Easter Brunch!
This is also great as leftovers the next morning. Just reheat it in the microwave.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This casserole can be made into a lower calorie recipe or WW friendly casserole. To make this casserole a bit more WW friendly use reduced fat or low fat cheeses, turkey sausage, and reduced fat milk.
The points per serving will be 5 smart points.
- Hot breakfast sausage - I used Jimmy Dean Fully cooked turkey sausage crumbles (1 ½ cups). Since the sausage is fully cooked already just you don't need to heat it up in the pan for very long. It will cook in the casserole dish.
- Bag frozen shredded hash browns - Frozen shredded hash browns are a convenient and versatile ingredient for many recipes. They can be used as a base for breakfast dishes such as hash browns or as a side dish for lunch or dinner. Can also use the hash browns that come in the refrigerator section at the grocery store.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - use whatever type of cheese in your pantry or mix up different kinds of shredded cheese. Use reduced cheese or fat-free if you want to lower the calories.
- Eggs - The best type of eggs you can buy at the store are organic or free-range eggs, while others may prefer eggs from specific breeds of chickens
- Milk - Dairy does not like me at all so I go for a lactose free milk such as Fairlife. It also has more protein in it.
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make Hash Brown Casserole
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain fat. Add hash browns to skillet and cook until slightly softened or warmed through.
Step 2: Place the cooked hash browns and sausage in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
Step 3: Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. Pour over hash brown mixture. Top with cheese.
Recipe Tip: Cover and refrigerate at this point if baking later.
Recipe Tip: Let the casserole recipe sit out for a bit to set before serving.
Step 5: Bake for 35-40 minutes. Slice the casserole into 12 equal pieces. Serving size: 1 pieces.
What to serve with Sausage and Egg Hash Brown Casserole?
One great side dish to serve with Sausage and Egg Hash Brown Casserole is fresh fruit. A fruit and yogurt parfait would be a great addition or a bowl of mixed berries or sliced melon can provide a refreshing contrast to the savory flavors of the casserole. You could also serve a side of toast or English muffins, which can be used to sop up any leftover egg yolks or sausage gravy.
If you’re looking for something a little more substantial, consider adding some roasted vegetables to your meal. Roasted asparagus, broccoli or Brussels sprouts would all be great choices. You could also serve a simple green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.
Finally, if you want to keep things simple, just serve the casserole on its own. With its combination of protein, carbs and veggies, it’s a satisfying and complete meal all on its own.
There are two different methods you can use to make this casserole. One is by following the directions below. This is the directions for "Oops, I forgot to defrost my hash browns overnight method." Cook them on the stove for a bit and heat them through. The hash browns do not need to be browned, they just need to be warmed up.
The other method is to have the hash browns completely defrosted before making this. It can be made ahead of time this way. Just make sure to have the sausage cooked ahead of time so all you have to do is assemble the casserole in the morning and pop it in the oven.
It depends on what you are cooking. If you want to prevent the top layer from getting too brown, you can cover the casserole dish with foil or a lid. If you want the top to be crispy, leave it uncovered. Additionally, covering the dish can also help the food cook evenly and retain moisture.
Always store leftovers in clean, food-grade containers. The type of container doesn’t really matter. Use zip lock, glass, plastic, whatever! Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container.
Other Recipes to Try
If you tried this 5 Ingredient Sausage and Egg Casserole or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
This 5 ingredient hash brown casserole is great for a weekend brunch. Serve it with some fresh fruit, baked goods like muffins or donuts, and mimosas on the side!
- 2 lb hot breakfast sausage
- 1 (30-32oz) bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add hash browns to skillet and cook until slightly softened or warmed through.
- Place the cooked hash browns and sausage in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. Pour over hash brown mixture. Top with cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate at this point if baking later.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Slice the casserole into 12 equal pieces. Serving size: 1 pieces.
WW Points: 9 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
Another way you can make this is to defrost the hash browns completely and make sure the sausage is cooked prior to making this. Then add everything to a bowl and pour it in the casserole dish.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 632
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 46
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 26
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 24
Keywords: 5 ingredient sausage hash brown casserole