Green Bean Casserole is a classic American dish that is usually served during Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. It is a delicious and simple recipe that requires only a few ingredients and can be made in under an hour.
So, I've had this blog for quite some time now and I've never been a fan of Green Bean casserole until about a year ago. Tried it at a local Thanksgiving buffet here and it was really good. They used fresh green beans and made their own fried onions. Delicious! This is pretty similar to that recipe without the fresh fried onions. Enjoy!
Serve your Green Bean Casserole hot and enjoy its creamy texture and savory flavor. This dish is a perfect side dish that pairs well with roasted turkey, Crock Pot Potato Soup, Crock Pot Mac and Cheese, Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes with Garlic, and Homemade Brown Gravy from Scratch.
Why You Will Like This Recipe
This green bean casserole recipe does not use any canned green beans. Most of the ingredients are pretty freshly made and I found them all at Aldi.
- Paula Deen's House Seasoning - I didn't include this in the recipe photo because I didn't have it on hand at all.
- French-fried onion rings
- Cream of mushroom soup - use canned or make it homemade!
- Chicken broth - The best type of stock to use is one that is homemade. For canned stock, I look for ones that say reduced sodium or fat free.
- Sliced green beans - please use fresh green beans or frozen green beans when making green bean casserole!
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
- Diced onions - yellow or white
- Butter - is the most commonly used type of butter in baking, as it allows for more control over the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Grated cheddar cheese - sharp, mild or extra sharp cheddar.
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Paula Deen’s Green Bean Casserole
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter.
Step 2: Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain.
Step 3: Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings and House Seasoning to taste. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 ½-quart baking dish.
Step 4: Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
Tips for Green Bean Casserole
- Use fresh green beans: While canned green beans can be used in a pinch, fresh green beans will give your casserole a brighter flavor and crisper texture.
- Make your own cream of mushroom soup: Homemade cream of mushroom soup will give your casserole a richer and more satisfying flavor. It's easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. The recipe above calls for canned but this is always an option.
- Add some crunch: A common addition to green bean casserole is crispy fried onions on top. Consider adding some chopped nuts or breadcrumbs to the mix for added crunch.
- Experiment with seasonings: While traditional green bean casserole recipes call for salt, pepper, and garlic powder, consider adding other seasonings like smoked paprika, thyme, or cayenne pepper to give your casserole a unique flavor.
- Don't overcook: Overcooking your green beans can result in a mushy casserole. Make sure to blanch them in boiling water for just a few minutes before adding them to the casserole dish.
More Great Recipes to Try:
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Grinder Salad Sandwich - Tiktok Recipe
- Zero Point Cabbage Soup
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- French Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Pickle Chips
If you tried this Paula Deen’s Green Bean Casserole or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Green Bean Casserole is a classic American dish that is usually served during Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I
- 1 pinch Paula Deen's House Seasoning
- 1 (2.8 oz) can French-fried onion rings
- 1 (10 ¾ oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onions
- ⅓ stick butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter.
Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain.
Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings and House Seasoning to taste. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 ½-quart baking dish.
Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
Always use fresh green beans and not canned!
- Category: Medium
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: green bean casserole