Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish made with sautéed pieces of beef in a sour cream-based sauce. It typically includes onions, mushrooms, and sometimes mustard or tomato paste. It is often served over egg noodles or rice and is a hearty and comforting meal.
Beef stroganoff is a childhood favorite dish of mine. My Dad would always make it for us. I don't really remember having too many favorite childhood dishes besides this one and Chicken Cheese Hotdish. He would always use ground beef and often times I see this recipe with cubed beef and mushrooms.
The only time I will ever eat mushrooms is when they're cut up into really tiny pieces like they are in condensed cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise, then this recipe, this will be the only time you see a recipe that includes mushrooms on this site. I've tried to like mushrooms before but we just don't get along. It's a texture thing. That and black olives.
- Lean ground beef - Is considered better than higher fat options for several reasons. First, it has less saturated fat, which can contribute to heart disease and other health issues. Additionally, it tends to have fewer calories per serving, making it a good option for those watching their weight. The 96% lean ground beef from Aldi is my favorite.
- Onion, chopped yellow or white
- Cornstarch - Used to help thinking the gravy
- Garlic powder - is made from dehydrated garlic cloves and like the chili powder above it gets pulverized into a powder or flour consistency.
- Cream of mushroom soup (98% fat-free)
- Uncooked egg noodles
- Greek Yogurt or Light Sour Cream - is considered great for a variety of reasons. It is typically higher in protein and lower in sugar than regular yogurt, making it a good choice for those looking to maintain a balanced diet.
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
Step 1: Brown beef in a skillet until the meat is no longer pink and browned. Season with onion powder. Drain grease.
Step 2: Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and pour onto meat. Stir in garlic powder, salt & pepper, and 2 cans of mushroom soup.
Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pkg. directions.
Step 3: When done, drain. Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and mix well. Add to noodles and mix till well blended.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Weight Watcher Point Calculations
Add 1 cup of the beef mixture to however many noodles you want.
1 cup cooked egg noodles: 6 points
½ cup of cooked egg noodles: 3 points
Hope, that makes sense? Phew.
Points for beef stroganoff without the noodles: Green: 3, Blue: 2, Purple: 2
What to serve with beef stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a classic dish that is usually served with a side of egg noodles or rice. Some other popular options include roasted vegetables such as Smoked Asparagus or green beans, a fresh green salad, or Air Fryer Garlic Bread.
You can also try serving it with Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes or an Air Fryer Baked Potato for a heartier meal. If you're looking for something lighter, a side of steamed broccoli or roasted Brussels sprouts can be a great choice. Ultimately, the choice of side dish will depend on your personal preferences and the occasion.
Nutrition info is calculated with the zero point food included in the recipe I use the WW app to figure out points and myfitnesspal for nutrition.
Where are the points for the recipe?
The points for the recipe will always be listed in the Notes section of the recipe.
Always store leftovers in clean, food-grade containers. The type of container doesn’t really matter. Use zip lock, glass, plastic, whatever! Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container.
More Great Recipes to Try:
If you tried this Lightened up Beef Stroganoff or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Beef stroganoff is a childhood favorite dish of mine. My Dad would always make it for us.
- 1 lb. 96% lean ground beef, see notes
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 10 oz cans cream of mushroom soup (98% fat-free)
- 16 oz uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup of plain Greek Yogurt or Light Sour Cream
- Brown the beef in a skillet till the meat is done and the onion is transparent. Drain grease.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and pour onto meat. Stir in garlic powder, Worcestershire Sauce, salt & pepper, and 1 can of mushroom soup.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pkg. directions.
- When done, drain. Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and mix well. Add to noodles and mix till well blended.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
My WW Personal Points: 9 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
includes points for noodles.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 18
Keywords: beef stroganoff