Beef stroganoff is a childhood favorite dish of mine. My Dad would always make it for us. I don’t really remember having too many favorite childhood dishes besides this one and Chicken Cheese Hotdish. He would always use ground beef and often times I see this recipe with cubed beef and mushrooms. The only time I will ever eat mushrooms is when they’re cut up into really tiny pieces like they are in condensed cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise, then this recipe, this will be the only time you see a recipe that includes mushrooms on this site. I’ve tried to like mushrooms before but we just don’t get along. It’s a texture thing. That and black olives.
Too lighten up this recipe, I used 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup and light sour cream. The sour cream just makes this so rich and creamy. Top with parmesan cheese or fresh parsley. This dish serves about 8 and a serving size is a cup.
- 1 lb. 93/7 lean ground beef
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 10 oz cans cream of mushroom soup (98% fat-free)
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried egg noodles
- 1 cup light sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- Brown beef and onion in a skillet till meat is done and onion is transparent. Drain grease. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and pour onto meat. Stir in garlic powder, salt & pepper, and soups. Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pkg. directions. When done, drain. Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and mix well. Add to noodles and mix till well blended.
Recipe adapted from Everything in Moderation
Points Plus: 6
Freestyle SmartPoints: 10 (1 cup)
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 18