Beef stroganoff is a childhood favorite dish of mine. My Dad would always make it for us. I don't really remember having too many favorite childhood dishes besides this one and Chicken Cheese Hotdish. He would always use ground beef and often times I see this recipe with cubed beef and mushrooms.
The only time I will ever eat mushrooms is when they're cut up into really tiny pieces like they are in condensed cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise, then this recipe, this will be the only time you see a recipe that includes mushrooms on this site. I've tried to like mushrooms before but we just don't get along. It's a texture thing. That and black olives.
How to make this recipe lower in points?
If you don't agree or like the points listed below many of my recipes on my blog can be altered to help lower the points. There is no need to ask if you can use this or that to replace an ingredient. 🙂
Beef: Beef stroganoff is made with beef and is not on the list of lean proteins so it is going to be higher in points. It is the type of protein I prefer for this dish. 96% lean ground beef can be found at Aldi or Wal-Mart.
Ground Turkey is the closest protein to ground beef that I think would be a good substitute to help lower the points. If you want to sub chicken look up a chicken stroganoff recipe. 🙂
Greek Yogurt: This is a great substitute for using sour cream on WW since it is zero points.
Noodles: WW recipe builder has 2 different types of noodles. Cooked or uncooked. I used uncooked egg noodles for this recipe. I only use the cooked noodles option when I'm not combining the noodles. Let me explain.
Another way to control the points of this dish is to make the beef stroganoff mixture. Cook the noodles separately but don't add them in so you can control how much noodles you want. See what I'm saying?
Add 1 cup of the beef mixture to however many noodles you want.
1 cup cooked egg noodles: 6
½ cup of cooked egg noodles: 3
Hope, that makes sense? Phew.
Points for beef stroganoff without the noodles: Green: 3, Blue: 2, Purple: 2Print
- 1 lb. 96% lean ground beef, see notes
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 10 oz cans cream of mushroom soup (98% fat-free)
- 16 oz uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup of plain Greek Yogurt or Light Sour Cream
- Brown beef and onion in a skillet till meat is done and onion is transparent. Drain grease.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and pour onto meat. Stir in garlic powder, salt & pepper, and 2 cans of mushroom soup.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pkg. directions.
- When done, drain. Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and mix well. Add to noodles and mix till well blended.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
My WW Personal Points: 3 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 18
Keywords: beef stroganoff